How Smooth is Smooth?

Just getting started with biofeedback games? Share thoughts, questions, and ideas with others like you
Richard

How Smooth is Smooth?

Post by Richard »

Hi All.
I'm training for Smoothness (HRV).
I understand that many measurements are taken into consideration to determine 'Smoothness'.
During Alive Pioneer sessions I've been checking all the graphs and information available to see if I can find the one best measurement that would seem to indicate my current level of Smoothness.
I'm "In the Green" on the sliding smoothness bar mostly all of the time, so I'm looking to find a numerical representation of seeing exactly how smooth I am. (Obsessive or what? :D )

I feel like the LF/HF ratio might be the best single indicator of level or quality of smoothness.
I get a great sense of satisfaction when I see big LF/HF numbers, both during the session and also on reviewing a session using the 1 minute bar graph view.

Ryan, at the risk of oversimplifying a complex system, which one parameter out of all of available ones would you regard as providing the best snapshot of how smooth a person is at a particular point in time?

Thanks,
Richard.
Ryan Deluz

Re: How Smooth is Smooth?

Post by Ryan Deluz »

Hi Richard,

That's right, LF/HF is an absolute value of Smoothness. Remember, though, that you can change the Smoothness difficulty. If you are green all the time, increase it slightly. Don't go all the way to Max, as then you will introduce too much stress into getting into Smoothness. As far as I know, training to increase LF/HF beyond standard "high smoothness" levels in Alive isn't necessarily beneficial. Its better to train often, and have a simple and relaxed training, as opposed to training to maximize LF/HF beyond a certain point. The reason for this is that people tend to overbreathe and strain their breathing to force a perfect LF/HF. I recommend that you choose a Smoothness difficulty so that if you get distracted and stop breathing correctly, or if you feel a moment of increased stress, you do see Smoothness lower, but where you go to maximum Smoothness when relaxing and breathing correctly. Different people may have different clinical viewpoints, so, of course, use the system as you like! It can also be fun and increase interest to try to reach higher levels of Smoothness, so please go for it, just don't strain your breathing to get there.
Ryan Deluz

Post by Ryan Deluz »

Also, I have to say that although LF/HF is the closest thing to Smoothness, it isn't exactly how we measure Smoothness. It is highly correlated though and can be used for what you want, as can increasing the Smoothness difficulty. The way we analyze the frequency bands is optimized beyond just LF/HF to achieve very rapid changes to the smoothness, and encourage proper training.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks for your input (and validation!), Ryan.
Back in the early days I do remember trying too hard and over breathing.
Not sure that there's any benefit training for tingling fingers, a woozy head and hyperventilation. :lol:
I will experiment with the Smoothness Difficulty setting as you suggested.
(Does 'the coach' change this automatically anyway, based on Level and points?)
I have found it worthwhile to go back and repeat the Orientation as my practice has improved - it's a great way to make sure I'm not getting lazy and just coasting along.
And you've gotta love the comparison charts at the end of the Orientation :D
I spend virtually all my time in Graph Training because it reflects physiological changes so quickly and clearly.
If the novelty of Graph Training starts to fade, I'll head over to the Environments and Games areas more often - I'm aware that they will expand/round out the benefits of training.
My poor old emwave sensor hardly sees the light of day any more.
I still enjoy using the Wild Divine IOM Lightstone for the SCL graphing.
I'm spending most of my time using the iFeel finger sensor (loving the accuracy afforded by 200Hz sampling).
I noticed during a recent software upgrade there was mention of new hardware accommodating the iFeel HRV sensor and new SCL sensors. Do you have a release date for that yet?
All the best,
Richard.
Ryan Deluz

Post by Ryan Deluz »

Hi Richard,

The new BioSignals sensor is available as a beta, but we sent the beta back to be redesigned. The box was bigger than necessary, too light (strange but true), and we are adding support for temperature. I guess 1st qtr 2019. I'm glad you are loving the iFeel Sensor. This new sensor will use the iFeel soft-rubber heart rate sensors and can accept any iFeel sensor as its heart rate input. The coach does not automatically change Smoothness difficulty. I think that's a matter of personal preference, as some users are perfectly happy (and have very effective training) staying almost all the time smooth. They start it up, breathe right, relax and get perfect scores, and feel happy about it, and have had an effective training session.

Ryan
Richard

Post by Richard »

The 1st qtr of 2019 will be here is a flash.
Temperature support will be an interesting addition.
I'm already looking forward to seeing if there's a correlation between Temp and SCL.
As I recall, body temp tends to drop as parasympathetic activity becomes more dominant.
I look forward to getting an email when the BioSignals sensor is available for purchase.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
R.