IOM Sensor vs. emWave Sensor?

Discussions around how you use Alive in your life
rexall

IOM Sensor vs. emWave Sensor?

Post by rexall »

Mon 19 Sep 2011, 9:58 am

Hi all,

I am working with Alive!, HeartMath and Wild Divine systems. All three have strengths and weaknesses. Alive! and HeartMath are clearly superior in terms of providing real-time pacing, as well as HRV & coherence feedback during a session. With Wild Divine, you have to interrupt a session or wait to the end to see the graph. I like the emWave (ear) sensor because of ease of use, and because having my hands free is much more convenient and pleasant. Wild Divine, however, uses the IOM censors with measure HRV as well as skin-resistance, and keep one hand tethered to the computer while you are practicing. So far, I have NOT found the skin resistance readings to be very helpful. Perhaps I just need more training in how to interpret skin resistance numbers and how they relate to HRV and coherence? It's not a idle question because I notice that Alive! offers an upgrade for $50 bucks that allow it to work with both IOM & emWave. I wouldn't mind upgrading if I had a better sense of what advantages are for using IOM over emWave. My intuition is that, all things considered, the emWave ear sensor is probably more than sufficient.

What do you think?

Thanks. I welcome your discussion of this interesting topic.

Aloha,

Rex
Khon Kaen, Thailand
[email protected]
Ryan Deluz

Re: IOM Sensor vs. emWave Sensor?

Post by Ryan Deluz »

Aloha Rex,

The main advantage of the Dual Compatibility Upgrade if you own Alive Clinical for emWave, and are considering using Alive with the IOM sensor, is in being able to use Skin Conductance with Alive. The IOM measures skin conductance (GSR), whereas the emWave does not.

To learn more about GSR training, please read our clinical user guide:
http://www.somaticvision.com/downloads/ ... -Guide.pdf

If you really want to learn more, I recommend going to a biofeedback training workshop. In the USA Stens offers good trainings for biofeedback that include GSR training.

All the best,

Ryan
rexall

Re: IOM Sensor vs. emWave Sensor?

Post by rexall »

Mon 10 Oct 2011, 4:32 pm

Thanks for the reply, Ryan.

I love living in Thailand, but one downside is limited to whey kewl stuff such as biofeedback training. I have to do the best I can with online resources and self-learning. I guess that has advantages as well.

Aloha,

Rex
Khon Kaen, Thailand
[email protected]