IOM accuracy

In this forum, clinicians and therapists can discover and share information about working with clients in and outside of the Alive environment.
novasun

IOM accuracy

Post by novasun »

Hello! First of all I want to thank you for this great program. Its the first time that I use a biofeedback program that is so good.

I have a question, how accurate IOM is? (I am using the clinical version). When I use the program and take the finger out from the msc sensor the program stops but when I take the finger out from the heart sensor it doesnt stop. Why this is happening?

Thank you very much.

ps I am using a new IOM sensor.
Ryan Deluz

Re: IOM accuracy

Post by Ryan Deluz »

Hi Novasun,

The heart rate measured is accurate between 0.5 and 2 beats per minute, hopefully more near 0.5. After analyzing the data and graphing it compared with other blood volume pulse, as well as ECG monitors, there is almost a perfect correlation of changes, as long as you have a good basic reading. You can check the signal quality from Alive's Main Menu -> Workshops -> Graphing -> BVP Graph. If you see nice clear repeating waves or spikes, with heart rate indicators, your signal is good.

Make sure you have the latest version of Alive, as very old versions (2-3 years ago) didn't have as good signal analysis, and didn't display when the heart rate was measured in error.

The way a BVP sensor works, with light bouncing around, its hard to tell if its on or off, so although when of it generates only noise, when on it accurately measures your heart rate. You should also see the heart rate line turn red when there are errors, including when you take off the sensor.

Another way to test the sensor is by opening a heart rate graphing screen, wait for a few seconds while seated, then stand up (trying to keep the sensor from moving too much). You'll see your heart rate is significantly higher when standing, compared with sitting.

Best,

Ryan Deluz
Somatic Vision Inc.