Optimal Breathing Speed

Discussions around how you use Alive in your life
Lesley

Optimal Breathing Speed

Post by Lesley »

Ever since I learned what my Optimal Breathing Speed is during the Alive Orientation, I've been having fun using it both in my life and as a preparation for playing Alive games.
It's fun for me because it feels good and is effective.
It truly is my optimal breathing speed and the changes it makes in my physical and emotional state happen so fast!
I practice it at the start of my day, on the way to work, and at the first signs of getting stressed.
Just a few minutes, sometimes just a few cycles, is all that is needed to relax me and make me smile.
It is like having a new, dependable friend!
rexall

Re: Optimal Breathing Speed

Post by rexall »

Mon 19 Sep 2011, 9:38 am

Hi Lesley, all,

I realize this is an old thread, but the forum seems a little sleepy these days, and as a newbie to biofeedback, I would welcome more discussion of these interesting topics.

I have run the Optimal Breathing Speed "widget" three times now, and each time I get a different result. It is a bit of a chore to go through the widget repeatedly. How do I obtain or determine the most reliable results?

On a slightly different subject, there seem to be two approaches to breathing; ones that encourage you to lengthen and manipulate your breath in certain ways, such as Alive! and HeartMath. Others, however, discourage you from trying to control or manipulate breath in any way, instead passively observing and allowing the breath to rise and fall "naturally."

Is there a conflict here, or are these equally valid approaches to be used at different times and under different conditions?

Thanks for any discussion.

Aloha,

Rex
Khon Kaen, Thailand
[email protected]
willtaylor

Re: Optimal Breathing Speed - Adaptive Pacer

Post by willtaylor »

I'd enjoy hearing others' experiences with the Adaptive Pacer in Pioneer, and advantages/disadvantages this might have in contrast with working at a fixed pre-determined "ideal" respiratory pace? I understand the adaptive pacer is responding to patterns observed in the HRV tracing, what is this actually tracking & how does this work out in clinical practice?